2.02.2009

(Un)Social Butterfly

This past weekend a crowd of friends gathered to say farewell to Jake and Caroline. Because they have a wide circle of friends, Sara reminded me that this would be a great opportunity to check another something off my list: Talk to strangers at a social gathering. I went feeling certain I would do this.

Little did I know that one of the "strangers" at this particular social gathering would be a woman who my boyfriend had met at New Year's Eve of '07. Apparently, she was quite persistent in asking for his phone number so they could go have coffee. He declined. Again and again and again, he says. I believe him, too. I have never seen Chris stick so close to my side as he did on Saturday night. At one point he was even hiding behind me in the kitchen. I guess he gets kind of scared off by persistent. :)

There were only two other "strangers" at this party, neither of whom I felt compelled to start a conversation with. So, maybe I need to be a little more of a social butterfly. Or maybe I just need to attend parties with more strangers to choose from. Or maybe I just need to take this one off my list. What do you think?

2 comments:

Sara said...

Does introducing yourself to someone new at church during the greeting time count?!?! :-)

Christin said...

It might count, but I'm not sure I've ever done that, either. One time, a guy tried to introduce himself to me and I kind of blew him off. Luckily, he was persistent because we've been dating for quite a few months now!