3.31.2009

We're Engaged!!

As I left work on Friday, I was walking out of the building listening to a voicemail from my youngest brother asking if I wanted to go shopping. That should have been my first tip-off; Tyler hates to shop. I was so excited to get to spend an afternoon with Ty that I didn't even bother to ask questions. He walked over to my place to wait while I changed into something more comfortable, replied to an email, and tried to get him to help me make a gluten-free pizza crust. He refused to help with the crust. That probably should have been my second clue, because Tyler is a very agreeable guy.

The two of us went around town shopping at various places for a birthday gift for Chris. The WHOLE time we were out and about, Tyler was texting someone. Several times, I almost asked about this, but restrained myself since I am trying not to be such a nosy big sister.

Around 4:50, Ty asked if I could bring him back to campus so he could go fishing. "Can we stop really quickly at Hy-Vee?" I asked. After all, we'd be driving right by on our way back to USF. Nope. Tyler would have none of that. Feeling a little disappointed, I agreed to bring him back to his dorm. We said good-bye and I headed back to Hy-Vee. Tyler, however, thought I had given up on that errand and texted Chris to say I was on my way home.

Forty-five minutes later (Hy-Vee is really busy around 5:00 on a Friday night), I really did arrive at home with my hands full of grocery bags. I dropped the grocery bags at the back door and followed a path of rose petals into my dining room, where I saw Chris waiting for me.

For some reason, it still didn't register with me that this was going to be important. I vaguely remember hearing Michael Buble singing "Everything" as I ran over to hug and kiss Chris and ask him why in the world he was here so early - he never gets to SF until after 6:00. It was right about then, as he was turning me around, that I noticed a video camera perched on the arm of my sofa and my dining room table filled with candles and dozens of stargazing lilies and roses.

I didn't even have time to freak out. He said some really sweet things (I will spare you those details), ending with "Will you marry me?" Without hesitation, I said yes!

3 comments:

Teach4Christ said...

HURRAY!!!! Thanks for sharing your story--being I haven't gotten to hear it yet! I'm so happy for the two of you!!!

Flip-flop Mama said...

Congratulations!!! I'm excited for you two :) I was waiting for a proposal :)

Sara said...

You left out the part about the video camera...you mean to tell me that this thing is recorded for posterity?!?!? You've got a head start on the 25th wedding anniversary material. :-)